How To Treat A Centipede Bite?

Centipedes are arthropods with many holes and a pair of legs. They have claws that can bite into your skin and inflict a lot of pain. The common Centipede Bites Symptoms are redness and a couple of puncture wounds. Many ways can be adapted by which you can avoid getting bitten, refer www.dcourier.com/news/2017/may/05/spiders-scorpions-and-centipedes/ to know more. But once you are bitten by the hollow, clawed legs it feels more like a pinch but releases its venom into your skin.

How to recognize a centipede?

As mentioned before it has a pair of legs with many holes in them. They have claws that can clamp your skin and the foot that has those claws are called the poison claw. The claws are located at the bottom part of the body of the centipede, and the puncture on the skin when you get bitten is due to this claw. You can also notice blisters on your skin as well as introduce toxins into your body which can enter the glands because of which its bite is more harmful than the bite of any other insect or animal. Sometimes the sting of a centipede can also turn fatal.

When do they bite
Unlike the sting of a wasp, bee or an ant, centipede do not bite frequently. People get bitten by them only when there is direct contact with the body like stepping on it, picking it up or any other means of contact. If you are living in a place where centipedes are prevalent, you most likely find them in areas where it can hide. It can be hidden in your clothing or your bed.

Symptoms:
The symptoms of the biting sting can vary and is based on its size. It also depends on the allergic conditions that you have to its bite. A person stung by a centipede will complain of severe pain, and the skin appears reddish and swollen, these symptoms can last for a few days. The other signs that a person can have includes lightheadedness, nausea, vomiting, tremor of the heart. The venom of the centipede is harmless though it contains toxins. Most gardeners are victims as they are likely to be in direct contact with them. The more delicate your skin is, the stronger reactions you are likely to have due to its bite.

Treatment: Once bitten by the centipede, you should wash the area with soap and water. Apply a cold pack to reduce the swelling and redness. You can also apply a bandage to the injured area if need be. Usually, the swelling decreases in 48 hours, and this is only a first aid treatment. If in case of any significant local reactions you should consult a doctor to get treated efficiently.
Once you have received first aid treatments, you should go to a doctor and get help from a medical professional. An ice pack can reduce pain, in case the pain does not decrease you can consume antihistamine tablets. Local anesthesia may also be administered to relieve pain. Antibiotics may also be prescribed if there are any secondary infections. Doctors will have to observe the patient for close to 4 hours for poisoning.

Leave a Reply